As one embarks on the journey of overcoming addiction, there are several vitamins and nutritional supplements available to assist you or your loved one. Although there is no shortcut to the healing process, science has confirmed that certain nutrients may provide helpful support both physically and mentally during addiction recovery.
Which vitamins and supplements are the best for addiction survivors? Let's explore the essential vitamins to promote successful recovery from addiction.
The Best Vitamins & Minerals for Addiction Recovery:
1. Vitamin B: Vitamin B is essential for the creation of new cells in the brain, and it’s important to keep your neurotransmitters balanced and healthy during addiction recovery. Taking a daily multivitamin with all eight forms of vitamin B (B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, folic acid, B12, biotin) can ensure your body is healthy and prepared for the detox process.
2. Vitamin D: Low levels of vitamin D have been linked to higher rates of addiction. Vitamin D helps reduce inflammation in the brain which can help reduce feelings of anxiety and depression that often accompany recovery from addiction. Sunlight is the best source of Vitamin D, so make sure to get at least 20 minutes of sunshine a day if you’re able.
3. Omega-3s: Omega-3 fatty acids are necessary for proper brain functioning and development. They can also reduce cravings and withdrawal symptoms by increasing dopamine levels in the brain, which helps regulate emotions and feelings. Cold water fish, such as salmon, tuna, and mackerel are great sources of Omega-3s.
4. Magnesium: Magnesium helps reduce stress levels while also aiding in the relaxation and reducing anxiety. It can also help with sleep issues that often occur during recovery from addiction. Taking supplements or eating foods rich in magnesium, such as cruciferous vegetables, nuts, and legumes can help make the recovery process easier.
5. Zinc: Zinc helps regulate dopamine levels in the brain and is an essential mineral for maintaining a healthy balance in neurotransmitters. It also helps boost your immunity and energy levels which are important during recovery. Foods like oysters, beef, crab, and chicken are all excellent sources of zinc.
Making sure you’re getting the essential vitamins and minerals during recovery from addiction is key to a successful journey. Adding these supplements to your diet can help make the process easier and provide the support needed for a strong foundation for sobriety.
Maintain a Nutritious Lifestyle
Supplements can be an instrumental part of your journey to sobriety, but you must combine them with a healthy diet and lifestyle in order for their positive effects to truly shine. Tips on how to maintain a nutritious lifestyle:
1. Drink Plenty of Water: Staying hydrated is essential for your physical and mental health during addiction recovery. Make sure to drink 8-10 glasses every day or more depending on activity levels and climate.
2. Eat Nourishing Foods: Diet plays an important role in the recovery process, so make sure you are getting all the essential nutrients your body needs. Eat a balanced diet that includes plenty of fruits, vegetables, proteins, and healthy fats to keep your body nourished and energized.
3. Exercise Regularly: Exercise is one of the best ways to maintain good physical and mental health during addiction recovery. Taking part in activities like walking, running, biking or even yoga can help reduce stress levels and keep your body in shape. Exercise also helps improve sleep quality, which is essential for successful recovery.
4. Get Enough Sleep: Proper rest is essential for a healthy mind and body during addiction recovery. Make sure to get at least 8 hours of sleep every night and try to stick to a consistent sleep schedule.
5. Build Positive Relationships: Surround yourself with people who support your recovery and help you stay on track. Participating in activities that promote sobriety, such as AA meetings or joining a recovery group can help you build positive relationships while also giving you access to resources and support during the recovery process.
Following a healthy lifestyle in combination with supplementing key vitamins and minerals can help make your journey to sobriety easier and more successful. With the right tools and resources, recovery is possible and within reach. Be sure to seek professional help if needed as you go through this process. Good luck!